Let me take you back a week.
I was walking to Johnson Hall, when the former News Desk Editor for the Marquette Tribune approached me, saying I had been promoted to his position, for he was leaving to pursue an internship. In the moment I heard this, both excitement and dread filled my mind. Obviously it was great that I had been promoted in such a short amount of time. In fact, it was as if the journalism Gods were looking down upon me, paving a path for me to the top.
At the same time, however, I had only experienced one Trib late night at that point; and it wasn't even for the News desk. I knew I would be crazy not to accept the position, but I also knew I was nowhere near prepared to fill said position.
A week goes by, and I find myself at my second late night as News Editor. I sit here writing after two stories dropped, four budget changes occurred over the weekend and one reporter simply chose not to do his story so he could go on vacation for the weekend. To top it all off, I haven't eaten since 6 a.m.
This is my introduction to the harsher side of the journalistic world. As a reporter, life is pretty easy. One researches a bit, gets in touch with their sources, writes the story and BAM, they're done. As an Editor, the constant change and overseeing of 10 other people proves to be far more difficult than expected. If the reporters don't get their stories in, YOU feel responsible. If there is confusion regarding a story's focus or sources, YOU are responsible. If the budget doesn't work out, and stories need to change on the fly, YOU are responsible.
These are all things I have learned.
Although this past week has been a whirlwind of events, I do have faith in myself that I'll pull the act together. After all, it has only been two issues. It's just a matter of how long it will take.
This is when I start telling myself, "Optimism, Brooke! Optimism!" And just as I need to believe in this phrase, I need to believe in myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment