Friday, September 16, 2011

My Long Awaited Rant about Casey Anthony

Well, here it finally is. No, this is not a rant about Casey Anthony. This is a rant about the absurd folk who still CARE about Casey Anthony. 

In my experience, there are two viewpoints on the results of the "biggest trial since OJ." The first  viewpoint is that Casey Anythony--the woman who faced trial for the murder of her two year old daughter--was wrongly found innocent. The second viewpoint is the need to hunt her down, removing her from society oneself.

Neither of these opinions coincide with my own.

In fact, when I heard the verdict on that highly anticipated summer day I began jumping up and down. No matter how morally corrupt the woman might be, the federal justice system finally got one right. 

Many individuals spew off nonsense about the trial, but I feel as if I have a legitimate right to express my thoughts. Not only did I watch every single day of the trial this past summer, but I followed the case from the start over two years ago. I seem to have a bit of an obsession with court cases--I Google search them when I'm bored--but that is not the point. 

The point is, I have a right to speak of this trial because I am well-informed and truly knowledgeable about the happenings of it. I know the evidence like the back of my hand, I look at Jose Baez as a friend  and I know how many times Casey wore her hair in a ponytail so that her horrible, elfish ears were exposed. 

On the other hand, many individuals only tuned in the day the verdict was given. They didn't suffer  through the countless "Objection, Sustaineds," nor had they seen the smug little look on the prosecutor's face that resulted in controversy and a far too long court recess. 

Admittedly, I wish that smirk would have resulted in a bit of a tussle "WWF Smackdown" style. My boy, Baez, would have won. Unfortunately, he didn't get the chance. 

But the point is, when that long-awaited verdict was announced, I had the right to tweet about it. I had the right to make a Facebook status about it. And I had the right to be annoyed with the hundreds of comments that claimed "The judicial system is terrible!" And, "I'll go out and kill her myself if I have to!" 

I'm sorry, but that is simply immature. And maybe you should study up on a little something called "reasonable doubt."

This is the problem with the media. Society can not pay attention to an event for almost two years, but when it comes down to the wire and has entertainment value, the whole country is all ears. And boy, does everyone have opinions. 

In fact, the media is STILL covering the trial and keeping tabs on Casey's life. And readers are STILL commenting on those stories. For example, today Casey went to therapy. Wow. Fascinating. 

She was acquitted. She's serving her probation. And maybe her parents still don't like her. Get over it, people. The media needs to stop blowing it out of proportion. And the common individual needs to realize that there are much, much more crucial issues occurring within society today. 

The most trivial stories are covered and covered to no end. News sources choose the easy way out--entertainment--instead of reporting on a story that actually matters. And the public falls right into the media's hands. They're setting an agenda and training society to be focused on utterly ridiculous matters, rather than what is important. Because ridiculous sells. 

So stop it, world. Sure, I cared about Casey Anthony's fate more than most, but I've moved on. 

In fact, let me shock you. I would like to learn more about the U.S. Postal Service. 


No comments:

Post a Comment