Just as every single Journalism and Communications class I have taken in my time at Marquette has emphasized, social media transforms the ways in which information is reported and received. Not only do mediums(note how I called them mediums) such as Twitter, Facebook and Google+ enable individuals to maintain contact with friends and family, but they provide lightning-fast speed in the means of transmitting news. With the press of a button or update of a status, news is sent to hundreds of users without the need of a printed newspaper.
Without social media, news of al qaeda leader Osama bin Laden's death would not have spread across the world so quickly. Without social media, it would be more difficult for the common individual to speak out regarding issues within society. And without social media, birthdays would never be remembered.
However. Without social media, less rumors would be started. People would maintain more personal connections with their friends and families. And children would spend more time outside playing, rather than staring at a newsfeed on a computer screen.
Most importantly, the news that needs to be reported would not be overshadowed by petty nonsense.
As I was walking out of the Al McGuire center this afternoon following the Rev. Scott Pilarz's Inauguration, I checked Twitter. On my Twitter newsfeed were hundreds of tweets regarding every single aspect of the ceremony. There were tweets that spoke of the faculty's robes. There were tweets regarding minor things said during the event. And there were tweets about the band that stood outside the doors as members of the Marquette community left.
The band? Really? The band standing outside the Al was that tweet-worthy?
I understand the importance of tweeting about an event such as the Inauguration of Marquette University's 23rd President. But I do not understand why one would tweet such obscure things, when there are so many other important things to be said. Instead of tweeting about the band, tweet about the audience's reaction as they left the building. Tweet a summary of the previous hours. Or simply tweet about the fantastic free lunch that was provided following the ceremony. I guarantee that at noon on a Friday, people would be far more interested in reading about food, rather than an awkward band.
So my point is this. Social media is wonderful. It keeps us informed and it allows for the spread of news at a lightning-quick pace. But be conscientious of what you say and find important. Don't tweet or update a status simply for the act of doing so. Do it with precision and purpose. Inform your followers of something they don't already know. And don't see your random tweet, comment or status as more important than breaking news--because surprise, surprise--it's not.
No comments:
Post a Comment